We’re in a recession. It’s happening and it shifts the thinking and actions of consumers, including ourselves. When this cycle hits it cause anxiety and fear.
Are you buying into it?
To me, while we are in a recession it doesn’t mean our business is in recess! It means we have to lean in, roll up our sleeves and focus that much more. Here are some practical steps you can take to ensure you are not letting what is happening have the impact it could.
- Shift your thinking! Either let the reason for your lack of results be because of the recession or realize that this thinking alone adds to the regression you and your team are experiencing. As a leader you MUST dig in and fight for market share, in up times and in down times. Blaming the recession for results only leads to more of the same thinking by everyone in the business and perpetuates the same results. What you think about, you speak about! What you speak about, you bring about! While it is understandable if your clients bring it up, make it a policy for you and the team to not bring it up.
- Know your numbers! Analyze your trends to see where you may be impacted by the economic downturn so that you and the team can shift gears and pour energy into specific areas to drive growth! Look at the number of new client traffic you have had over the last 6 months, studying it month by month. How much have they spent in services and on retail? How many of them have rebooked? How many have made it back to visit number two? Is their an uptick or a downturn in different types of services and treatment volume? Why? How effective has your retail business performed? Who on the team is producing results and who needs a boost? Data tells you so much, make it a point to look at it weekly, use your software programs to get you information quickly to support your decision making process.
- Collaborate! Get anyone who has a vested interest in the success of the business involved in the growth of the business. This includes your team, sales consultants & account managers, manufacturers and peers. The more hearts and minds the better.
- Position the business as a solution! In our induustry we provide an oasis for our clients to let go, forget about their issues for a few hours and to heal their spirit based on the expereince and services we provide. Use this to your advantage. Promote this to your clients. Remind them who you are for them and they will continue to see that an investment in your services is vital to their halth, well being and balance during tough times.
- Get creative! What additional incidentals can you add on to support their comfort and show them care? From complimentary hand facials, soothing teas to partnering with healers to provide clinics and workshops on breathwork, yoga, etc. can go a long way in position your brand as a resource i your community during difficult times.
- Stay the course! Have a vision for the future and continue to speak it into existence. When you are forward moving everyone around you will have no choice but to get on board with you. Tough times don’t last. Tough people do. Believe in the growth of every client who comes to your business, every team member who trusts your leadership and to where you are heading and you will navigate the bumps and get to the other side. Believe this with every fiber of your being. If you struggle with this, seek coaching and mentorship to help keep you focused forward.
There are brighter days ahead. It is up to you to drive towards them. You got this! One day and one client interaction at a time!