Don’t just survive! Thrive!
Sometimes this can be easier said than done. Building a successful career in the salon business takes time. It can be a long and lonely road at times and it will test you physically and emotionally. If you’re just starting out here are some principles to help guide your path.
- Put others first! Your needs and desires are important, but in this business they have to be second to the needs of your clients and many times to that of the team you work with.
- Keep your word! If you say you’re going to do something, follow through with it. If you gave your word to yourself, stay the course. At the end of the day, this is a true source of power in life or a lack thereof.
- Be punctual! Better yet, be at least 20-30 minutes early. It’s better to be overly prepared than not. From an energetic standpoint, it’s much better to be early and ease into your day than being in rush mode.
- Solve problems! They’re going to happen. Expect them, engage them and eradicate them. If you can’t immediately solve them yourself, be honest about it and get help.
- Always look to learn. We all simply don’t know enough and never will. There’s always something to learn when it comes to technique and especially communication, relationship building and business management.
- Be patient! Building a successful career takes time. It also take your ability to let go of mistakes and learn from them. It will really take patience to build your career. You’re starting from scratch. You cannot expect it to happen yesterday. It will take time.
- Be humble! As you grow your client base and make more money you’re bound to grow more confident. That’s great but stay grounded in where you have come from. Be humble and stay true to your goals and values. Don’t let it go to your head because your salon business, like life, is a long, long road.
As a stylist or technician it’s important to remember these principles are not only mantras, they must become your way of life, who you are. Embody them and you will have the strength and personal empowerment to stay the course!
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.