7 Ways To Increase Your Product Knowledge
In his book, Let’s Get Real Or Lets Not Play, Mahan Khalsa says, “How you serve creates how you sell.”
When it comes to retailing this couldn’t be more accurate.
The retail products you offer your clients are an extension of the service you provide. This means that each time a client uses a product you recommend, that product is improving the health of their hair, skin and nails while enhancing their image.
When you put time into studying and testing yourself and others on the features & benefits of your product lines you significantly impact your ability to serve guests at a higher level.
Here’s how you can take your retail knowledge to the next level.
- Make product study a weekly occurrence.
- Study the features & benefits of each product. Write them out, memorize them and then fill in them in on a blank sheet of paper until you get them 100% correct.
- Put it into a schedule so it gets done! Organize it by type of product. For example, shampoo’s week one, conditioner’s week two, styling aids week three and so on.
- Use the products with your clients when it is relevant.
- Try them at home yourself.
- Meet with your salon owner or manager and with the distributor sales consultant to understand their vision for the products.
- Stay up to date on each line you carry via social media and the products website.
If you follow these steps, your knowledge and passion for retailing will grow right along with your sales and profits! You owe it to your clients and to yourself to be prepared at this level!